Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Darfur's peace talks were scheduled to start today, and since none of the media seem to be reporting on this non-event I thought I would point it out.

The talks have now been postponed to September 15th, and one of the main rebel groups - the Sudan Liberation Movement/Army - have already announced that they will hold their internal 'Congress' the week after this to clarify internal agendas. The UN has also been heard admitting that these mid-September talks might just be 'small talks' anyway, and that none of the big issues will be discussed until November.

As usual, I am hoping that all of those who are enthusiastically embracing this "peace before the end of the year" idea know something that I don't. Cause from where I am standing there is little cause for that kind of optimism.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home