Monday, December 19, 2005

I wrote about justice in Darfur last week - the type that the special Sudanese courts in places like El Fasher are trying to dole out (ie not much) and the type that the International Criminal Court will one day be passing on those who are ultimately responsible for crimes in the region (hopefully a lot more).

And while those who are following the international news remain cautiously optimistic about the ICC's ability to bring some justice to Darfur, I feel I should also point out that the people in the camps tend to be less interested in the "big picture" justice.

They may loathe President Bashir or Vice President Taha, but will almost invariable feel more strongly and more passionately about the individuals and tribes whom they watched as they burned down their villages and beat their family members to death.

To them, justice is all about blood money and tribal processes.

Women often tell me that they are expecting some sort of compensation for their murdered husbands. Justice, to them, means paying for lost lives, lost lands, lost livestock.

It also means following traditional tribal reconciliation mechanisms that genuinely involve the leaders of the victims and the leaders of those who carried out the attacks on the villages.

Unfortunaly, the few tribal reconciliations that have already taken place in Darfur have been completely dominated by government stooges and made no genuine efforts to involve the people in the camps.

Clearly, bringing justice to Darfur will entail a lot more than just getting the ICC to start investigating and handing out indictments - and after some of conversations I had in the camps this week, I felt it was important to point out that the developments on the ground will be at least as important as those taking place in The Hague or Khartoum.

20 Comments:

At , Blogger Nate said...

Just wanted to say that I have been reading for a while now and that I find your writing amazing. Reading your site has inspired me to join the Peace Corps, or any aid organization for that matter, in order to repay the world and help those who need it.

 
At , Blogger Rabbi Ruth Adar said...

Thanks for your posts. Your blog keeps me from forgetting to work -- bugging my senator, doing what I can, getting other people to read your blog and DO something. I'm a rabbinical student who needs to remember that there's work to do outside my studies (after all, if they do not lead to action in the world, they are worse than useless.)

My son has plans for aid work after he finishes school, and your blog has given me a window on what that life is like. I really appreciate that.

 
At , Blogger Hamish said...

Great blog! Thanks for reminding us of the importance of lobbying pollies and flooding the media. I'd love to hear some more specific day to day experiences.

 
At , Blogger High Power Rocketry said...

I just found this page... Very interesting perspective... I guess being so far away, I really had no idea what life was like for you.

Bono is Brian Peppers!

 
At , Blogger zXc said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At , Blogger zXc said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At , Blogger zXc said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At , Blogger zXc said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At , Blogger Syakira Cuneeu said...

These fields intersect quite a bit, and often people get them confused. I'm going to give a hypothetical story that'll help you remember the difference between the three, and a quick summary of each. Jimmy Helpnot, a young white adult of 19 years of age decided on Monday to go rob a bank, using ...","name":"Communication, Sociology, Psychology: A Quick Guide

 
At , Blogger Merin said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At , Blogger Unknown said...

Really entertaining.Silly but interesting things are there in your blogs .VAT Accounting Software Dubai wishes to follow your posts.

 
At , Blogger Brainsphere said...

Nice post ,keep sharing them.Thanks from ERP software company in Dubai

http://www.brainsphereit.com/

 
At , Blogger james smith said...

Well, Really a nice post. I liked the way you explain it.
Thanks for the information you shared.
promotional gifts in Dubai wish you best of luck for your future posts

 
At , Blogger Corporate Gift Suppliers in Dubai said...

Nice article.
Thanks from stationery suppliers in Dubai

 
At , Blogger arwen garza said...

get your ex back with a love spell that works fast.
Dr.Jumba   has helped thousands of women get their Ex boyfriends back using his real effective love Spell. After my boyfriend of one year broke up with me, I could barely speak without crying. I felt blindsided and didn't know what to do. I didn't know if I could get him back and the anxiety was unbearable. I needed him back desperately because I loved him so much. So I contacted this great spell caster for help. He helped me cast a return love spell on him and just within 11 hours my boyfriend came back to me crying and begging for my forgiveness. Dr. Jumba released him to know how much I loved and wanted him. And He also opened his eyes to picture how much love we have shared together. As I am writing this testimony right now I am the happiest woman on earth. I want to recommend this great spell caster to anyone that truly needs an urgent solution to a love break up. Email him at   wiccalovespelltools@yahoo.com , wiccalovespelltools@gmail.com  or Call/WhatsApp him:  +19085174108    "I'm so grateful and can say that if you have been broken up with and want to get that person back, Dr.Jumba   is the best! I'll never forget how much he helped me  
  WEBSITE : drjumbaspellhome.wordpress.com blog : https://wiccaspelltools.blogspot.com/ 

 
At , Blogger AxolonERP said...

Keep sharing these types of articles. thanks from
ERP software in Dubai, UAE

 
At , Blogger banerpunep said...


really appealing and approaching content for reading and implementation purpose.
Accounting Software Dubai

 
At , Blogger erp-software-uae.ae said...

Nice Post! Thanks for Sharing. You may like:
ERP Software UAE

 
At , Blogger best accounting software dubai said...

Great and approaching content.
Cheque Printing Software UAE

 
At , Blogger Noelz_abraham said...

Thank you for sharing this informative content!!

Best ERP Software Solutions Offered in UAE

 

Post a Comment

<< Home